National Novel Writing Month
It's National Novel Writing Month or as the cool kids call it, NaNoWriMo. If you're reading this blog, you probably already know what Nano is. If not, let me give you a quick breakdown.
National Novel Writing Month is when writers across the globe - budding, published or otherwise - commit to writing 50,000 words in the month of November. It's a challenge to help writers get those words down with the goal of having a (semi) finished novel at month's end. My friend Monica first hipped me to it back in 2010.
Now I know what you're thinking. Christa, you're already published several times over. Why do you need to participate in NaNo? Well my friend, the answer is two-fold. First, I want to work on my writing speed. I can finish a book, but I take too long to do it. I'm hoping that by participating in NaNo, I can get focused and write straight through, without stopping to ponder and agonize over my draft for a month.
I also want to participate because I'm writing something vastly different from my published books. I'm finally, finally FINALLY writing the historical fantasy that I've been wanting to do for several years. Since I've only published contemporary so far, I almost feel like I'm starting over. So I've got all the nerves that go with writing a first book.
So what's my WIP about? I'll tell ya. Last week I did a Twitter meme: 1 Like = 1 Fact about My NanoWriMo Work In Progress. I'll share them here as well.
1) I changed the ethnicity of one of my main characters because I wanted to use gorgeous Willy Carter as a muse.
2) I have to research birds for this WIP even though I'm terrified of them & don't even like to look at them. I'm already regretting this decision.
3) I came up with the idea for this story four years ago. I gave Hero #2 two swords because Lancelot looked cool with them in King Arthur.
4) This WIP is trope-tastic! I researched tropes like Body Guard Babes, Big Heroic Run & After Action Healing on TV Tropes. It's gonna be a total popcorn fest and I already love it.
5) The geography of the kingdom is based off the bluffs that Cahokia Mounds & later, St. Louis, Missouri were built on.
6) I'll be writing my first on-page deaths of named characters. I'm already in mourning for them.
7) I latched onto Sheith from Voltron as an OTP (One True Pair) ship because they fit the Tol & Smol dynamic of my WIP's main characters. They also share a lot of their tropes. I've got a whole blog post on this coming later.
8) I was originally going to have the king's posse all with shaved heads. But decided later that was boring looks-wise.
9) My cast of characters is very diverse. In my WIP's world, people travel, settle & marry without regard to race
10) I'm researching cults & mass suicides like Jonestown. The series will get a little dark sometimes.
11) Hero #1 is straight-forward & naively expects everyone around him to be the same. He also wears tight, black leather pants. Meow!
12) Much to the disgust of warriors, battle & death often influences the fashion of the court.
13) I'm writing this in multiple Point of Views - three or possibly four. Eeeeek!
14) I almost named a character after one of the dudes from Jodeci but decided to name him Cornelius instead. I'm not actually sure that's better.
15) I'll be writing my first on-page lesbian couple. I plan to give them their own book in the series in the future.
16) Hero #2 is demisexual, which influences his 'warrior monk' personality.
17) I haven't discovered the character flaws for Hero #2 yet. So far he's perfect. And perfect characters are usually boring, so I'd better find out his issues STAT.
I only made it to 17 on Twitter, but I'll do a few bonus facts here so I can have a nice even Twenty.
18) I'm considering doing another story within a story type deal. Like I did with the Supreme Might of Love. We'll see. I'm still pondering.
19) The opening scene arose from a tweet I posted several years back, where I joked I was going to write a fanfic spin on The Hunger Games with the men oiled, sexy & fighting in loincloths. My OG OTP were going to be the main characters in that fic. If you dig you can find out who that is. Or if you've been around me since 2012 you already know.
20) Throne Sex.
And that's it! I'll be checking in this month with more news on my Nano WIP. And hopefully by November 30, I'll have 50,000 words to start my first historical fantasy.
Wish me luck and thanks for reading!
Visit my website: www.ChristaTomlinson.com
Follow me around the internet! Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, BookBub
View my titles on Amazon
Sign up for my Newsletter to receive updates, free reads and more!
Pre-Order A Sniper’s Devotion AMAZON AMAZON UK AMAZON CA KOBO APPLE
Leave a Reply.
My rambling and not at all edited thoughts on romance novels, writing, and pop culture.